So I promised to tell you what I was making yesterday, and this is it:
The last two dresses I have made for Ronja have been kind of “dressy” and not really suitable for wearing to kindergarten. Yesterday when Ronja once again announced that she wanted to wear a dress to kindergarten, it made me think, that I should make more things for her that were meant for everyday wear. I wanted it to be simple without too much detail work, but at the same time something nice, that she would want to wear. For simple things that are easy to sew up, I look to Onion patterns (Danish Onion site – English Onion site). That is really one of the things, that I love about Onion – they are just so easy; easy to trace, because there are hardly any overlaps in the pattern sheet, and easy to sew, because of the detailed instructions – perfect for not having to think too much. Which is, with the amount of sleep I’m getting now that Frida gets up at 4:45 am, a very important asset. If you are a beginner, and you want to start sewing on your own, I so recommend Onion.
This pattern was one of the first patterns I ever made, back in February when I started sewing. I made a dress that was more wintery with a sturdy velour and long sleeves. This time I wanted to make something that was definitely meant for summer, and I wanted it to have cheerful colours. Once I had these fabrics layed out next to each other, I had no doubt, they were going to be the ones. I once again ended up with a Sandi Henderson fabric from the Ginger Blossom-line, and this time I matched it with a red and white gingham. I altered the neckline that is originally made with a tie-string in the pattern to have an elastic instead. I think tie-strings are mostly trouble, and at the kindergarten they actually don’t allow them, because of the suffocating-risk.
Now, one of the things I wasn’t so happy about with the last dress I made using this pattern, was how I made the pockets. The pockets for both dresses is something I added, but last time I interfaced the pockets a bit too heavily, so that it kind of destroyed the draping of the dress. I wanted one pocket on this dress, and since the gingham is a very light quality, I decided to interface it with a light interfacing, and then cross my fingers that the dress would still drape nicely. And it does!
This was a very easy project (everybody in the blog world is talking about how some projects are quick and easy – I think it’ll be a while yet before I describe sewing a garment as ‘quick’ – LOL), but I must say I love this dress! I really like the colouring as well as the shape of it. Things don’t have to be complicated in order to be beautiful – this is probably one of my own favourites!