I had some fabric left from my own vest, so I made this for Frida a few days ago, and she absolutely loves it – though I think she would have liked the ballerina in front where she could see it.
I sketched the ballerina from a picture on the internet, and sewed it on with a short straight stitch. That way it will fray slightly on the outside of the stitches, but that will be part of the “look”. I used the same technique for my matryoshka appliqué, and that worked just fine – actually that blouse has been in use for a year now.
The pattern is #7 from Ottobre 6/2009, and I shortened it a bit to make it give it more of a girly shape. Still considering whether to add a tie in front – it might work well even if it’s fine the way it is.