I know I mentioned, that I love the internet – but I really do!

At the moment, Karen who has the wonderful blog My dharma…work in progress is visiting Denmark along with her husband and her beautiful daughter Ella. Karen and I got to know each other through the Ottobre English Sewing Group (which I described earlier here). Wednesday, we met up at Copenhagen ZOO to spend a rainy, chilly afternoon together. Once the girls were past their initial shyness, they seemed to enjoy each other’s company greatly - I love the way that language isn’t really a barrier to children, they chat away and apparently isn’t bothered much by the fact that they speak different languages. I translated a bit here and there, but actually they did pretty good without translation.

Looking at the lions

When we got to the zoo, it was raining quite a bit, so we started out having lunch, snacks – and coffee for Karen and myself. Meeting someone that you have seen in pictures many times is so funny, and Karen and I had no problems finding something to talk about. After lunching we went to look at the animals, and from time to time, Ronja and Ella held hands, which was so sweet.

Holding hands

Frida was awake during lunch, doing her best to charm Karen with a bunch of big smiles. Other than that she slept pretty much through the whole visit, only waking up when we were about to go home. Copenhagen ZOO is a big place, and we didn’t manage to see all that much of it, due to the weather and the children getting tired. However, we had a wonderful time, and I loved meeting Karen and Ella. It would have been great to have a fabric store or a sewing machine nearby, but that’ll be next time. :) If you wish to read more, go here to read Karen’s blogpost about our day!

Looking at the elephants

Karen and Ella brought two sweet little birds for Ronja and Frida, that Karen made them! The pink bird immediately turned into one of Ronja’s favourite things, and Frida enjoys walking around with her purple bird in the mouth – for some reason…

Birds

1. Posted November 21, 2008 at 18:27 | Permalink

You are so sweet! We had a great time and cannot WAIT to play again tomorrow!

2. Posted November 21, 2008 at 18:50 | Permalink

this is beautiful and I’m envious. I was in Denmark 10 years ago and have been craving a return trip ever since. Perhaps someday…..

3. Posted November 21, 2008 at 20:30 | Permalink

I’m so jealous! How fun – the internet is wonderful.

It’s funny – you speak such perfect, regular ol’ English that I forget about the whole Denmark thing. Honestly!

My French is lousy.

4. Posted November 22, 2008 at 00:04 | Permalink

How wonderful that two of you got to meet and play. I feel as if I know all of you since we share our sewing and other rare moments so often with each other. Wish we could have been there to have one big Ottobre kids party.

5. Posted November 22, 2008 at 01:31 | Permalink

Karen – sorry tomorrow will have to be postponed. It’s so funny, though, seeing your name with a Danish flag next to it in my comments… ;)

Its_Lily – If you do come, remember to let me know! :)

Amy – thank you so much, you’re sweet! :) By the way, my French isn’t very good either… ;)

Jeannine – I would love to meet you and your kids, and the other girls in the group. I feel so lucky to have been able to meet Karen and Ella here! The group as well as the blogging is bringing all of us closer together in spite of geography! :)

6. rikki
    Posted November 22, 2008 at 03:32 | Permalink

WOW! This is an example of the best of what the internet has to offer. i so love being allowed into parts of your life, you two just took it one step further and the children are reaping such an amazing benefit!

7. Posted November 22, 2008 at 17:14 | Permalink

What a sweet story! I love how the girls interacted with language as a barrier :)

8. Medrie
    Posted November 26, 2008 at 16:53 | Permalink

Oh, how wonderful! Wish I could have joined you…

9. Posted November 29, 2008 at 23:30 | Permalink

What a wonderful meeting. That must have been so much fun! I am sure it is just the first of many meetings.

One Trackback

1. [...] Karen and her family were supposed to visit us today, but of course I had to cancel that as well. Bummer. However, 12 hours on a plane isn’t much fun if you’re coming down with the flu, so it’s a good thing they will be back sometime during the next year! [...]