Sewing time is hard to come by at the moment. Frida doesn’t always sleep a lot during the day, and when she’s awake, she’s all over the place, crawling and standing up. She doesn’t pay much attention to her toys anymore, it’s all about discovering the world. Which keeps me busy! Also, with all my current running and training, I’m running out of (got that?) evenings…
Still, yesterday I managed to make this for Frida.
It’s the “Nasta” pinafore dress from the latest kids issue of Ottobre. I wanted it to be short enough for Frida to crawl, so even though she’s almost a size 74, I traced the 74 for width, and a 68 for length. And then I detached my head, and started to cut the fabric. Consequently, I forgot the seam allowance for the bottom hem, so it’s definitely short enough – maybe more of a top than a dress.
I chose a twill for the dress, even though the pattern recommends a knit, and it’s working perfectly – I have no trouble getting it over her head. I used striped rib for the binding, which also works nicely – I like the look of the two materials together. The twill is “My garden” in blue from Superbuzzy – it’s deliciously soft and I loooove the design. I’ll post a picture with my little flower girl when I get a chance.
A few days ago, I made my first bias tape, using a Clover bias tape maker from Smaatekstiler.dk.
Now this is my first attempt, and the quality of this IKEA fabric is quite sturdy, but I still like the dramatic design of it, and it was so easy to make. I definitely recommend giving it a try!