In order to fit a bedroom and a nice sewing space into our bedroom, we need to be a little bit creative. I wanted to get an idea of how much space we had to work with, so on Mads’ recommendation, I downloaded Google Sketchup during the weekend. (As you may be aware, Mads draws 3D models professionally, but he left the design of this room up to me, so I took him up on the challenge.) Sunday night I made the below draft of what I want to do with the room. Google Sketchup enables anyone with a bit of patience to draw their projects up in 3D, and it works surprisingly well, although I would recommend going through at least the first 4 video tutorials if you haven’t tried drawing 3D before, which I haven’t. They helped me a lot. However, altogether it only took me a few hours (and a little swearing) to draw up the idea I had, using accurate dimensions.
It won’t be huge, but this could be a really nice sewing space, I think. The wall that is not there, is the one that holds our closets, which will still be the case after the renovation. The door into the room from the hallway is to the right – it’s easier to see in the picture below.
Mads painted the ceiling yesterday, and the walls had first coat tonight, so it won’t be long before I need my design to be ready to go shopping. I think it’s going to look something like this, but if you have good ideas based on what you see, don’t hold back!