Doesn’t Her Mother Know Summer is Approaching?

Ehm – well Frida needed new pants. I went to look in my stash, and found some corduroy, that seemed sturdy enough to handle playground use, and temperatures that don’t quite say summer yet. I also took out some Japanese linen-cotton for pockets and cuff.

Pants for Frida

Both fabrics have been used before – I made a romper and a bib for Frida using the Red Riding Hood fabric, and Ronja had a pair of pants made from the corduroy – that was when I learned it’s a bad idea to combine a really light fabric with a dark one if the garment is ever going to need washing… :) I also made this purse from the cord.

So anyway – I like the result. Except… they’re screaming WINTER! I should have made these in November – I kind of saw it coming while cutting the fabric, but I just didn’t have a lighter tone of corduroy in my stash. I’m so going to take the season into consideration for the next pair I’m making – I’ll probably have to go fabric-shopping. Too bad! :D

I used a basic pant pattern from a Danish sewing book by Ulla Welinder, and added a bit of length because I wanted the pants to have cuffs. Cuffs and pockets were my own additions.

Pants for Frida

I used the technique in which you serge the elastic to the edge of the waist, and it seems to me that it’s stretching the elastic a bit more than I expect it to. I just always seem to make them too loose initially. I started cutting 45 cm of elastic, and they were terribly loose, so I unpicked the waist, and cut out 4-5 cm. They fit her, but they could be tighter still, so next time, I’ll be cutting something like 38 cm elastic including seam allowance.

Oh well – they look cute on her, and next time I’m making pants that appear to be made for the season they will be used for.

13 comments

1. Carla says:

It’s like I have a clone of your fabric stash! I have chocolate brown cord and Japanese prints just waiting to be used. And since its autumn here the timing is perfect for some little pants like yours. I’d love to cuff the bottoms but dont really know how. Do you recommend any online tutorials or Ottobre pattern instructions?

2. Medrie says:

I love these! There are always cool summer evenings when Frida will benefit from a heavier pair of pants … and such a stylish pair too! (We have snow today! May 8th! That’s dreadful even by Canadian standards.)

3. Kathleen says:

I love them nonetheless! I’d put these on my son even though we live in Hawaii! :) Just like Medrie said, “there are always cool summer evenings.” Love ‘em lots!

4. Anne Dorte Johanson says:

Ja, okay de er lidt efterårsagtige, men gør det noget? De skal jo alligevel kun bruges de dage hvor det ikke er sommeragtigt endnu! Jeg er enig med dig i det problematiske med elastikken. Jeg har syet hundredevis (sådan føles det) af børnebukser og har fundet frem til, at det der virker for mig er den gammeldags metode: Hvis det er en lille omkreds, feks ved ærmer laver jeg løbegang og trækker elastikken igennem. Hvis der er en større omkreds feks taljen på et par bukser syr jeg elastikken sammen til en ring og syr derefter løbegangen med elastikken indeni. Derefter syr jeg elastikken fast i sidesømmene. Min erfaring har lært mig at det er virkelig svært at sy oven på en elastik uden at den giver sig for meget. Og så er det ligemeget om det er med overlocker eller symaskine. Held og lykke med den videre syning… jeg synes du er virkelig dygtig og jeg HAR stemt på din top!

5. Helinä says:

I love these also :) ! I’d have to make these kind of pants for Kamilla too, for spring and for those cold summer days which are quite typical here in Finland. I love the brown color as well – it’s so practical and combined to e.g. to pink or to some other light color it’s perfect for summer also :).

6. Millie says:

These are lovely, great job. I’ve had a problem with this type of waistband before, it seems to happen with heavier fabrics. It happened with canvas trousers I made. As you say you need to compensate for that.I ended up putting an extra piece of elastic in the channel.(I was too lazy to unpick the waist!)

7. Kim says:

Love them, they turned out adorable! How much did you have to end up cutting the elastic (from her orig waist measurement)?…I tried to do it that way for a skirt for my niece and it was WAY too big that I unpicked and just made a casing…lol.

8. Susan says:

Hi
    congratulations with your victory in the top-challenge over at Rae’s. It IS a nice top, so you deserve it. how cool to win the pattern for her bag for kids.

9. Zarina says:

Astrid – congratulations on winning the award from Rae. Just to let you know that I have added you to my Google Reader. I just love reading your blog and about your two girls. The post about Frida going through the surgery made me cry. Reminds me of when my niece (that time four year old) had to stay at the hospital to remove some of her rotten teeth.

10. Marina says:

Å hvor er de fine, det er lige før Frida må håbe på lidt koldere dage ind i mellem alle de lune solskindsdage vi selvfølgeligt også skal have denne sommer.

11. Millie says:

Didn’t I tell you that you deserved to win it outright! I’ve been computer-less for a couple of days so I was delighted to see that you’d won when i got back online, so belated congatulations.

12. Astrid says:

Thank you all! :)

Carla – I didn’t actually work with an instruction – just winged it. I just tried googling for a tute online, but I didn’t find anything that similar to the way I did it. Just give it a try! ;)

Medrie – I imagine that would be like DK having snow now – which would be dreadful too! :)

Anne Dorte – jeg elsker dine tekniske kommentarer, som jeg virkelig kan lære noget af – og jeg skal helt klart forsøge mig med en anden metode næste gang. God idé at sy elastikken fast i siderne – det har jeg ikke gjort tidligere, men det skal prøves, så den ikke ruller! Og så lige tak! :)

Kim – next time, I think I will do the casing – I ended up taking out 6 cm from what the pattern says.

Oh and thank you for all your wonderful support in general and on the topic of my tunic! You’re all the best! :)