Ehm – well Frida needed new pants. I went to look in my stash, and found some corduroy, that seemed sturdy enough to handle playground use, and temperatures that don’t quite say summer yet. I also took out some Japanese linen-cotton for pockets and cuff.
Both fabrics have been used before – I made a romper and a bib for Frida using the Red Riding Hood fabric, and Ronja had a pair of pants made from the corduroy – that was when I learned it’s a bad idea to combine a really light fabric with a dark one if the garment is ever going to need washing… 🙂 I also made this purse from the cord.
So anyway – I like the result. Except…
they’re screaming WINTER! I should have made these in November – I kind of saw it coming while cutting the fabric, but I just didn’t have a lighter tone of corduroy in my stash. I’m so going to take the season into consideration for the next pair I’m making – I’ll probably have to go fabric-shopping. Too bad! 😀
I used a basic pant pattern from a Danish sewing book by Ulla Welinder, and added a bit of length because I wanted the pants to have cuffs. Cuffs and pockets were my own additions.
I used the technique in which you serge the elastic to the edge of the waist, and it seems to me that it’s stretching the elastic a bit more than I expect it to. I just always seem to make them too loose initially. I started cutting 45 cm of elastic, and they were terribly loose, so I unpicked the waist, and cut out 4-5 cm. They fit her, but they could be tighter still, so next time, I’ll be cutting something like 38 cm elastic including seam allowance.
Oh well – they look cute on her, and next time I’m making pants that appear to be made for the season they will be used for.