For a while now, I have been wanting to try this kimono-pattern made by Amy from Habitual. Yesterday I got started with the pattern, and today I cut the fabric and sewed it up. Ronja chose the fabric for the binding – and it’s a nice coordinate for the orange in the water lilies.
Thumbs up to the pattern – it is quick and easy (and this is me saying that – I never think something is quick and easy), the instructions are really good, and they are followed by very clear pictures. I was planning on using my new bias tape maker for the binding, but mine is a 3/4″ (18 mm), whereas you need a 1″ (25 mm) binding maker. I did wonder if mine would do, but I decided that especially the ties would be to thin. I believe this was the right decision.
The binding will be much easier to make if you have the right bias tape maker, but it’s not a big problem without one either. Just takes a bit more time…
This is a great kimono-pattern. I made another kimono some months ago, when I had just started sewing, but this design is more simple, and I like the clean lines a lot. I have yet to try it on Ronja, but that’ll have to be for another post.
My model is sleeping on the couch at the moment. She wasn’t on top when I went to get her from kindergarten, so I’m letting her rest a bit for now. She has been coughing quite a bit, I sure hope she’s not coming down with a cold. Frida is sleeping too – when I was done with the kimono earlier this afternoon, she and I went to have a cup of tea and play a bit with Rikke and Nelle (from the mothers group), and I think the extra excitement in playing with Nelle made her wonderfully tired. Have to go more often – it’s really nice having a cosy chat with Rikke as well!