I did a bit of sewing today and made a pair of pants for Frida.
The pattern I used is one from the Ottobre issue 01/2006, and even though there is one for girls, I chose to use the one for boys – just like that one better. For a while I have been looking at the rest of the linen I used for the “Tie-back” tunic, and I have wanted to try to match it with another Sandi Henderson design from the Ginger Blossom line. I decided that these pants would work well for that combo.
It did prove to be a bit of a challenge, since the printed fabric proved to be off the grainline. While cutting, I had to kind of come up with a compromise between following the grainline and following the design. If I had gone by the grainline only, it would’ve looked like I let Frida cut it on her own – which I didn’t. I think it went fairly well in spite of the grainline-issue, though – there are not that many straight lines, so you don’t really see it unless you look closely, as well as know what to look for.
The pants came together nicely – the only problems I had were caused by the vividness of the linen. It stretches and moves quite a bit more than the quilting cotton, which makes it hard to control at times. Anyway, I didn’t have serious issues this time, and I even decided to try out one of my sewing machine’s decorative stitches!
The pants are a bit big for Frida still – I made them in a size 68, and I worried that they might be too small, but no need. I would like to make a small peasant blouse to go with it – we’ll see if I get around to it!